Light bulb uses 10 percent of energy & wastes 90 percent to create heat

light bulb wastes 90 percent of energy-min

Although many of us have switched to LED bulbs for their extended lifetime and energy savings, you can’t forget where it all started.

There’s still a debate on its inventor, but there’s no arguing that the incandescent bulb was a step toward a brighter future.Incandescent bulbs cost much less than their energy-efficient alternatives – mainly CFLs (compact fluorescent lamps) and LEDs (light emitting diodes).

An incandescent bulb can cost as little as 70 cents. Meanwhile, a CFL bulb sells for at least a few dollars and a LED starts at $10 but usually runs around $20.


Its invention was an amazing feat, but it may not have been the most efficient. Roughly 10% of the energy from an incandescent light bulb is used to create light, the remaining 90% of energy creates heat

Incandescents also don’t last as long as CFLs and LEDs. The typical incandescent bulb lasts about 1,000 hours, while a 15-watt CFL bulb lasts 10,000 hours and a 12-watt LED bulb lasts 25,000 hours. In other words, incandescents last about a year while CFLs can last 10 years and LEDs up to 25.

All told, your energy costs can be 25%-80% less by switching to energy-efficient bulbs, according to

Despite the savings, many still stick with incandescents because they typically don’t spend that much in the first place on lighting in their homes.

Leave your vote

692 points
Upvote Downvote

Total votes: 0

Upvotes: 0

Upvotes percentage: 0.000000%

Downvotes: 0

Downvotes percentage: 0.000000%

Written by Lauren Brien

Feel free to share your idea, post, comment, video, improve existing posts and vote for the best one.

Collaborate & stay connected.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *